Math is different from when I was a kid. These days, it’s a lot more fun! The Desmos online graphing calculator is a free, browser-based tool that allows users to create, share, and explore math. The calculator enables students to easily input hundreds of expressions that graph instantaneously, save and share their work, and create “matherpieces” – blurring the line between math and art. Teachers have found it an exceptional tool for class demonstrations: they can create “sliders” to show how changing an equation’s parameter affects a graph’s shape. In addition, they can highlight points of interest (max/min, intersections, and intercepts) and put graphs in bold projector mode for easy classroom viewing. In order to free education from the shackles of expensive, proprietary, and outdated hardware and software, the Desmos team has set out to re-imagine the graphing calculator from the ground up, building on the best technologies available. They believe that every student deserves access to the best tools for learning, and that given the right environment, everyone can learn and enjoy math. Just zooming in and out on it is a blast. Try it. And don’t miss the “Staff Picks” and “Graph Gallery” tabs at the top!
SUBSCRIBE to EdTech Digest:
- My Tweets
Read these recent posts:
- The Human Element
- More About ‘Way Easier Learning’
- Does VR Have a Place in EdTech?
- 2018: New Horizon for Learning in World of Constant Innovation
- Big Changes Occurring on College and University Campuses
- Re-examining a Quality Higher Education
- 10% There: The Future of Edtech and Personalized Learning
- Five Trends for Successful EdTech Deployments in 2018
- Three EdTech Trends to Watch in 2018
- Year in Review: Hottest EdTrends of 2017