Math is different from when I was a kid. These days, it’s a lot more fun! The Desmos online graphing calculator is a free, browser-based tool that allows users to create, share, and explore math. The calculator enables students to easily input hundreds of expressions that graph instantaneously, save and share their work, and create “matherpieces” – blurring the line between math and art. Teachers have found it an exceptional tool for class demonstrations: they can create “sliders” to show how changing an equation’s parameter affects a graph’s shape. In addition, they can highlight points of interest (max/min, intersections, and intercepts) and put graphs in bold projector mode for easy classroom viewing. In order to free education from the shackles of expensive, proprietary, and outdated hardware and software, the Desmos team has set out to re-imagine the graphing calculator from the ground up, building on the best technologies available. They believe that every student deserves access to the best tools for learning, and that given the right environment, everyone can learn and enjoy math. Just zooming in and out on it is a blast. Try it. And don’t miss the “Staff Picks” and “Graph Gallery” tabs at the top!
SUBSCRIBE to EdTech Digest:
- My Tweets
Read these recent posts:
- Five Trends for Successful EdTech Deployments in 2018
- Three EdTech Trends to Watch in 2018
- Year in Review: Hottest EdTrends of 2017
- Tools Teachers Love: Letters Alive
- What Is Edtech’s Role in Out-of-School Time?
- Is It Possible to Learn Anything?
- Social Media’s Role in Higher Education
- Fixing Education
- How The New CEO of an EdTech Company Keeps a Good Thing Going
- Future Focused