Created to provide an alternative to traditional textbooks whose prices are rising farther and farther beyond what many students can afford to pay, OpenStax is a nonprofit organization committed to improving student access to quality learning materials. Their free textbooks are developed and peer-reviewed by educators to ensure they are readable, accurate, and that they meet the scope and sequence requirements of the courses for which they are designed. They currently have 25 books available, covering the introductory college courses with the highest enrollments, and their library is still expanding. They have added two Advanced Placement® textbooks for high school classes, and they’re constantly working on innovative ways to improve their materials: interactive iBooks, tie-ins with MOOCS, original videos that visually explain key concepts, and more. OpenStax is now one of the fastest growing OER publishers in the world and is in use at over 1,500 schools and by over 260,000 students (during this past academic year). To date, they have saved students more than $53 million. Through their partnerships with companies and foundations committed to reducing costs for students, OpenStax is working to improve access to education for all. Learn more.
SUBSCRIBE to EdTech Digest:
- My Tweets
Read these recent posts:
- The Human Element
- More About ‘Way Easier Learning’
- Does VR Have a Place in EdTech?
- 2018: New Horizon for Learning in World of Constant Innovation
- Big Changes Occurring on College and University Campuses
- Re-examining a Quality Higher Education
- 10% There: The Future of Edtech and Personalized Learning
- Five Trends for Successful EdTech Deployments in 2018
- Three EdTech Trends to Watch in 2018
- Year in Review: Hottest EdTrends of 2017